Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Let's Give the Male Race a Little Credit

"Did you see B waddling around math class today?" A asked.

"Yeah, what was that all about?" J questioned back.

"She had just come back from the bathroom and her tampon hurt her so she couldn't walk!" A shot back with a monstrous chuckle.

We had all just piled into the back of the big yellow school bus, us being the cool eighth graders that we were. After a long day of passing notes and trading stickers we purchased at Abercrombie, it was time for a gab session on the way home.

It definitely crossed my mind that A and J were B's best friends. Weird that they'd be making such snide remarks behind her back, right?

Wrong. This was just Introduction to Girl World 101. Little did I know I was bound for this class on not only the AP level, but the college and even graduate levels as well.

By the end of high school, I was sure I'd seen it all. I'd watched best friends backstab just to beat each other with better marks in school. I had witnessed girls lie about weekend plans just to oust another from their in-group. Countless times I observed girls insult their best friends' intelligences and looks. But it only continued-- as I learned to distance myself more and more.

As I grew increasingly close in college to two girls that we used to call "the twins," I realized just how far girls are willing to go to make themselves feel better about their own identities and beings. This pair was inseparable-- from making out with their boyfriends on separate beds in the same room to insisting that they showered in stalls next to each other at the same time, there was no breaking them. They liked all the same foods and despised all the same people-- their was no distinguishing their preferences.

Soon one of the twins started to leak a rumor about the other. And not just about the girl herself-- but about the girl's experiences with her new boyfriend. The first girl apparently had attempted to do something sexually that she had never done before and um, let's just say, it wasn't successful judging by the boyfriend's physiological reaction.

The story made it all the way to a different state and back again, thanks to some mutual home friends between two of the friends. One twin's business of sexual incompetence had left the inner circle and traveled miles and miles, only to haunt her for years. Yet they still remained twins, because no one can break the bonds of sisterhood of course.

So, you might be wondering what my point is here. Yes, girls are cruel, we all know this. It isn’t exactly news or shocking. And I don’t mean it just in the sense of friendships—it transcends all social situations, from peer relationships at school to romances.

My point is to make it clear that I know girls are awful, and I know that sometimes we might make it seem here like we hate men. But really, as much as we might complain, it’s important to remember that it’s really us girls that are the crazy and manipulative ones—not the men. Even though we females put up with a lot from men, we give them a harder time and our behavior is oftentimes a lot more outrageous. Maybe we owe them some credit after all.

XOXO,
R.

No comments:

Post a Comment